Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Time To Be Brave

 

Hope uplifted me today when I read the article linked here, simply because it offers a real and practical step in whittling down Big Tech's control and influence over our lives and society. There is a web browser called Brave (it's run by Mozilla's founder) that will default to the search engine DuckDuckGo instead of Google.

Immediately after reading "How To Stop Using Google Search on Your Computer And Phone," I went to the App Store on my iPhone and downloaded Brave. I axed Safari from my phone's home screen and dragged Brave into its high-traffic spot. Fast, easy--effective. It's my one small step for today.

I had already migrated to Mozilla and DuckDuckGo on my laptop, as mentioned in a recent post. All of my recent actions in trying to limit corporate technology's long reach into my life are mere raindrops in a vast ocean. But if enough of us apply these steps, and also continue to search out other small measures to take, and if we share our findings with each other--then one day there may come a tsunami of consumer push-back against the tyrannical control of the tech monsters.

It's hard to know where or how to start the fight to regain our private lives and personal freedoms. But I think any one of us would be off to a good start by being Brave