Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2022

Worth A Second Look

Have you tried finding an enjoyable, amusing, worth-your-time movie on Netflix recently? It's a tough assignment. After losing two hours of my life last night to a hot mess titled The Lost Daughter, I was determined not to repeat my error in film choice tonight.

At my age, very few movies are worth investing the time for a second sitting. Being a movie lover, I have my classic favorites that receive regular repeat screenings. But newbie movies have a hard time making my rewatch list. Then I noticed St. Vincent in the "New This Week" section on Netflix. I had watched it a few years ago when it was first streaming, and it suddenly disappeared--as good movies are wont to do on Netflix. When I saw it suddenly reappear this week, it immediately made the jump to my watch list.

St. Vincent starts Bill Murray as a crusty, down-on-his-luck smart-mouth who finds himself providing after school daycare to a new neighbor's young son, Oliver. To avoid spoiling any of the fun, let's just say that Vincent succeeds in teaching Oliver many significant ways of the world during his babysitting gig. Melissa McCarthy plays Oliver's mom with heartfelt charm, and Naomi Watts has a colorful role as a "friend" of Vincent.

While the film has many moments of hilarity, there are also both dark and tragic plotlines woven throughout that draw the story to its poignant climax.

I just finished watching St. Vincent again. As I remembered, it was worth a second look.