Pages

Tuesday, February 06, 2024

Remembering a Patriot


Over the years, I've been exceptionally picky about country music and its singing stars. Some country I really like; a lot of it I don't. There was only one country music star that truly captivated me, and that was Toby Keith. My husband was a huge country music fan, so he was delighted that we finally had some common ground in this genre. Back in the day, Pete bought me Toby Keith CDs on any occasion. I still have them.

From his first hit song, "Should've Been A Cowboy" in 1993, I liked Toby. I liked his voice, his music, his songwriting, his style, his performances and his personality. Toby Keith had his naysayers, especially over the song he referred to as "Courtesy"--the video is linked above. As he told a CNN interviewer, it's a song he wrote in 20 minutes on the back and sides of a Fantasy football sheet while he was in the gym right after September 11, 2001. He first performed it at the Pentagon for troops about to ship out to Afghanistan. They went wild for it. Toby had no thought of releasing it as a recording; he thought he would sing it only at military shows. But the Marine commander implored him to record the song. The commander told him that the entire military should hear the song, that it was important for them.

Taking the commander's request to heart, Toby said he "prayed about it" and finally released the song. I'm so grateful that he did. Many critics thought it was too controversial and provocative. I think the critics are wrong. "Courtesy" was exactly what our troops, and our country, needed to hear at the time. It still gives me chills when I listen to it.

Aside from all his talent, I think what I liked most about Toby Keith was his love for our military. He entertained untold thousands of our service men and women and took special interest in supporting veterans. He was dedicated to our troops and our country.

Today, after hearing of his death on the morning news, I brought my Toby Keith CDs with me in the car and sang along on the ride to work. Toby, you did a great job. Rest easy, cowboy.