Pages

Tuesday, July 09, 2024

Hitting the Iceberg


"If the Lord Almighty came down and said, ‘Joe, get out of the race,’ I’d get out of the race. The Lord Almighty’s not coming down.”

~ Joe Biden, 46th US President

 

Not even God himself could sink this ship.”

~ attributed to an employee of the White Star Line, owner of the Titanic


It’s never a good idea to pronounce God’s plans. So, I felt a small chill when I read Joe Biden’s quote declaring the Lord is “not coming down” to instruct him not to run for a second term. Such certainty regarding the Almighty’s course of action is too reminiscent of the famous quote about the ill-fated Titanic ocean liner being “unsinkable,” even by God.

You remember the Titanic, the ship that hit an iceberg on its maiden voyage and sunk—quickly.

I don’t know what will happen to the beleaguered Joe Biden presidency. But I know the sound of a destructive impact when I hear one. What Biden said seemed like what Titanic’s collision with an iceberg must have sounded like. For now, there’s no predicting how much damage was done and the depths it might reach. Only the "Lord Almighty" knows.

 

Titanic sinks - April 1912