Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2024

Not In the Games

The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology. ~ Red Auerbach

I haven't watched a nanosecond of the Paris 2024 Summer Olympics. Nor will I.

A fleeting glimpse of online clips from the Opening Ceremony were enough for me to conclude that this particular Olympics was not worth my time. Drag queens recreating the Last Supper? Really? 

“There was never an intention to show disrespect to a religious group,” a Paris 2024 spokeswoman said. “If people have taken any offense, we are, of course, really sorry.”

Just a thought, but if disrespect was "never an intention," then it might have been wise to avoid a direct attack mocking that religious group's most sacred institution. It's safe for them to apologize now; their deliberate smear of Christianity has been accomplished. Christians aren't stupid. We can tell the difference between "freedom of expression" and a targeted insult.

I'm grateful I visited the Normandy beaches two years ago, because I'll never set foot in France again. Au revoir, blasphémateurs insensésNow excuse me, s’il vous plaît. I need to get to Mass.