Pages

Monday, September 07, 2026

Uncommon Valor

Do you ever ask yourself what you would do in a life-or-death situation that would demand action of you?

Whenever I think of United Flight 93, that thought occurs to me.

I hope I would be as courageous as the passengers and crew that decided to fight back against the terrorists. But I'm in no way sure that I would have done so; I doubt that anyone can be sure of what they would do. That's what makes their actions so extraordinary. 

United 93 crashed in rural Pennsylvania, as everyday American men and women successfully thwarted the terrorist mission of attacking another target in our nation's capital. These were people just going about their lives and jobs, thrust suddenly into the path of a terrifying death. They chose to devote the remaining minutes of their lives to mount a defense against incomprehensible evil.

Because these brave men and women succeeded in their courageous battle against the terrorists, the United States was spared untold additional loss and suffering on September 11, 2001.

The Flight 93 National Memorial Park is a place I hope to visit one day. The story of United Flight 93 is one of uncommon valor, a legacy of incredible bravery. It should be an enduring inspiration to every American.

Flight 93 National Memorial in Pennsylvania, USA