Pages

Wednesday, August 03, 2022

Safe At Home

Vin Scully ~ 1927-2022

I was never a Dodgers fan. But I was always a Vin Scully fan. He was the gold standard for baseball broadcasters, although (in my opinion) none ever surpassed his level of excellence and accomplishment.

Vin Scully died last night at the age of 94. There will be innumerable tributes to this sportscasting legend, as well there should be. Even though I've probably listened to it a half dozen times, today I listened again to Hugh Hewitt's interview with Vin Scully (July 3, 2012) in his honor.

There are many notable quotes from Scully's broadcasting career. My favorite is from a discussion about a player who was listed as "day to day." After that description, Scully remarked "Aren't we all?" 

A very "pleasant good evening" it was when Vin Scully rounded heaven's home plate.