Pages

Saturday, May 13, 2023

Growing into Mother's Day

Ever since my mother died three years ago, I tend to view Mother’s Day differently. When I was a daughter, the holiday has a different feel to it. It was not so much my own holiday, but rather about acknowledging and honoring my mother and her enormous impact on my life.

After she left me behind, I’ve graduated to become the matriarch of my own family. With all due respect to my late mother, and with gratitude for fond memories and important lessons, I now see Mother’s Day as an occasion to celebrate being the mom of my own children and grandchildren.

My children are the best thing that ever happened to me and my life's most significant achievement. They are now old enough to be solidly middle-aged, although I still see them as youngsters in my mind’s eye. Caring, kind, thoughtful, disciplined, ambitious, humorous, and devoted to their families are only a few of the positive qualities that describe them both. They are good spouses and parents and high achievers in their chosen careers; they have accomplished far more professionally than have I. As their mother, all these are gratifying facts that make me very proud.

Grandchildren are what I call “life’s payday.” They are the delightful reward for all the work, effort, worry, and sacrifice that went into raising my children. If you aren’t there yet, wait until you arrive. You’ll immediately understand how much sheer fun it is to be a grandparent.

So, with thanks to my mother for giving me such a good start, Happy Mother’s Day to me. To any mother reading, celebrate your special day to the skies. Moms have earned it.

Thank you, Mom