Pages

Sunday, May 07, 2023

Viewing History

If you're watching coverage of a major British event, I have learned that BBC's homepage is the place to be.

I watched Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee coverage on that website last summer, followed sadly by her funeral events a short time later. I also watched Prince Philip's funeral on BBC. They have live, uninterrupted coverage, and it goes without saying that their anchors and commentators are far superior to, and more interesting and knowledgeable than, American talking heads.

So, I watched King Charles III's Coronation events on BBC and was not disappointed. Much to my satisfaction, there was barely a whisper of Princes Andrew or Harry. I think there was one brief mention of both as the cameras panned the pews of Westminster Abbey prior to the ceremony, and the narrators identified prominent guests. From what I saw and heard, there were--thankfully--no further remarks about either of them.

I'm drawn to British events of state for a number of reasons. England is the USA's direct ancestor. Our rights and liberties, as defined in our US Constitution, are rooted in the Magna Carta, signed in 1215 by King John. Having been an English major and History minor in college, I haven't much resistance to such formal occasions.

It was especially refreshing to see such huge throngs of joyful people celebrating, cheering, and proud of their country. I long for a day when Americans can return to such an attitude of gratitude.


Flyover at Buckingham Palace